BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

10.22.2008

My address: UTA


Yes, you heard me right. I live on the Utah Transit Authority buses. I don't have a car, so I get to ride the buses EVERYWHERE! I work in Orem and Springville, so I spend at least 5 hours a week on a bus. It's not the most thrilling thing i've ever done, but there are some interesting experiences I have had. Take yesterday, for example. I was sitting out in the cold at the Mt. Timpanogas Transit Center (Where I get off one bus and wait for the next one to take me to rest of the way to work) and a lady just sits next to me and says "You don't look like the smoking type." Well, I don't smoke, so I I guess thats a good thing that I don't look like a smoker. She then proceeded to tell me that she smokes, but since she's sitting with me, she won't. Thanks! What a gem she is. She then tells me that she caught herself judging a man, even though she didn't know him. So we had a conversation about how most people tend to judge without really knowing a person. She told me she had already judged me. I am, apparently, the "mild-mannered LDS girl." Cool. I guess that's pretty much the truth.

After a little while of this, my bus came and she happened to be taking that one as well, so we sat together. I learned that she is divorced, has a kid (cutest boy EVER. She showed me a picture) and has brain damage. She found out that I'm a teacher and wanted to take piano lessons from me. I told her we only teach kids but if she had her son take them, then she would have to come anyways. So she wanted to come see the classroom where I taught and got off the bus at the same stop as me. I'll admit I was a little worried at first to be alone there with her, but she was so nice and friendly and left after getting some information.

So i'll most likely end up teaching her and her son next semester! How fun! Oh the people you meet on the wonderful UTA bus!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow! Cool story Beck! I didn't know that! Well I guess I don't know much that goes on in any of your guys lives even though I live with you! Sad story!

Karl Hite said...

I have never seen you on campus. You should stop ditching class. Also I never saw you on the bus (I ride quite frequently)so although your story is good, I'll consider it a work of fiction.

-Cousin Karl